progress report on the experimental felt job:
round two: 11"x10"
washed thursday evening. substantial shrinking. mediocre felting. the fabric twisted horizontally by a half inch, causing the handle openings to mismatch.
round three: 10"x9"
washed friday evening. some shrinking. better felting. handle openings offset by three quarter inch.
i decided that it looks better inside out so i blocked it that way. i can still see through the fabric when i hold it up to the light. but it's already too small to be a useful hand bag so i'm not going to wash it again. i made jg pose with it for scale:
strong enough for a man, but made for a woman
for some reason i'm very reluctant with felting. may be because it reminds me of all the sweaters i accidentally shrank over the years. i need to learn a little more about the method and process before making another attempt. hopefully i'll get it right next time.